50% Travel Required
The Director, Automotive Engineering for Continuous Improvement manages divisional operations to develop innovative and cost-effective logistics solutions for existing and prospective 3PL customers. The Director is responsible for managing multiple projects and personnel, contributing knowledge, performing analysis, developing solutions, justifying investment, managing implementation projects, integrating systems with processes, providing training and measuring results. Initiatives will focus on improving current process efficiency, material flow, labor productivity, quality, safety and space utilization.
The Director should have knowledge of automotive manufacturing, warehousing operations and IT systems, strong analytical and project management skills and experience in process re-engineering and facility layout.
• Develop logistics services solutions within the warehouse facility to serve prospective and existing clients in the Automotive and Industrial manufacturing verticals in support of Operations, which may include designing warehousing and transportation solutions for manufacturing replenishment, sequencing, quality inspection and inventory control services to manufacturers in the Automotive and Industrial verticals.
• Utilize improvement and analysis methods, such as process, inventory and shipment data analysis, time and motion studies, Value Stream Mapping, Lean Thinking, Six Sigma, facility and work cell design, product slotting, IT systems integration, performance measurement, bench-marking, financial analysis, and cost justification.
• Conduct and facilitate workouts with plant personnel to understand current processes and challenges, to encourage input and jointly develop solution options, to provide training, and manage change.
• Recommend expenditures, specify equipment, source vendors and support contracting for capital projects. • Define and manage multiple operational improvement initiatives concurrently.
• Share best practice documentation, tools and key learning's across the organization. • Collaborate with internal resources for input on project costing/ pricing, planning and implementation.
• Document and present logistics solutions to clients and senior leadership for review and agreement.
• Support Operations during implementation and with continuous improvement projects in existing facilities.
• Continuously improve skills, knowledge of leading practices and awareness of industry trends.
• Minimum of 10 years of related professional management level experience in a distribution environment with demonstrated success in driving large scale capital projects to improve material handling, inventory storage and retrieval, machine setup and utilization, product/service quality, safety, and information management.
• Qualified candidates will have 7+ years of work experience in automotive manufacturing, 3PL warehousing and Lean Six Sigma, and a business or engineering degree.
• Automotive manufacturing, industrial engineering or process and facility design, as well as 3PL value-added warehousing and distribution (VAWD) experience is strongly preferred.
• Excellent program management skills.
• Experience with facility layout and knowledge of material handling equipment.
• Knowledge of logistics KPIs, cost analysis and labor standards.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with individuals at all levels within and outside of the company.
• Desire to influence others, work as part of a team, and act as a catalyst for change. •
• Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering.